Tim Savigar 8 December 2011 21:16:09I recently had to say goodbye to my Nokia N97 - it is very difficult to use a touch phone with a smashed screen!
I counted myself as a fan of the Nokia - granted it was buggy and did sometimes decide to reboot itself for no reason - its battery life was also pretty poor - there was not the huge selection of apps you would get for an iPhone or Android - but I found the phone excellent, used it for VOIP, the maps application was good and allowed you to pre-load maps and I loved the keyboard.
So my decisions were - new Nokia, iPhone or Android.
With Nokia self imploding this left me with a straight forward iPhone v Android decision. In the end I went for Android as I wanted VOIP and I wanted the keyboard.
So I have ended up with a HTC Desire Z - so here are the things I love
- Internet browser with Flash (though it doesn't seem to work for all content) - it is miles better than either Nokia or iPhone
- 7 Homepages
- The FriendStream - I finally get facebook, twitter etc
- Linkedin App
- Pulse - Having news widets on my homepage
- The integration and linking contacts details and birthdays in to the calendar and address book.
- Large internet usage bills - even though I had a data plan - the phone blew the limit - it seems it would download half the internet if it was allowed. I don't want to download all of European maps - I only want UK - I would like to do this off-line like I could with the Nokia.
- It is slow - can wait 30 seconds for phone to get in a state where I can make a call.
- Battery life is poor
- Travel mail and calendars appear as separate applications and do not link to the facebook calendar for instance - I would like to see all email and texts in one place and facebook birthdays and Lotus Notes calendar entries through one interface or widget on my desktop.
- No Traveler tasks - I used these quite heavily - ....please add this soon.
- I now realise how much I used the old slide switch on the side of the N97 to turn the screen off - keep calling people by accident.
- No multitasking - ie on the internet/email - need to make call - get back on internet/email - think the app closes
- Comments